Friday, May 1, 2009

A Van for Lucas - What is it?


Welcome to a Van for Lucas blog! Thank you for checking in with us.

A Van for Lucas is a project that was created out of the need of Lucas Da Silva, a severely handicapped 4.5 year old boy who I know through my church. His mom, Colleen, and I sit together at our mom's group. Lucas's parents have been on the hunt for an affordable wheel chair equipped van for Lucas to ride in. They had located one, went to buy it from a private party, and learned that the individual had sold it out from under them. Heart broken, they were back at square one. Colleen shared this story with us at our group. The idea was planted in my heart that there had to be a way to get this family the van that they need......the idea swirled around in my mind from time to time. I kept pushing it away, back to the corner of my mind, but it stayed present and palpable in my heart.

On Easter Sunday, the pastoral team at our church asked for 10 volunteers to commit themselves to helping out someone in the community. Then and there, A Van for Lucas was born. I raised my hand and accepted the challenge of serving someone in the community who was in need. Scared, emotional, and excited, I left church that day knowing that this plan was not mine, but God's. I was being used as an instrument in the journey....a means to an end, if you will. I write this almost 3 weeks after accepting the challenge and I am so honored that He chose me. I have learned, grown and am refreshed daily by the experiences and opportunities He has provided.
I hope you enjoy this blog. I will try and recreate the journey for you so you feel connected enough to stay tuned. Amazing things are on the horizon. This I know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment